Source: The Hindu
List of Contents
What is the News?
The IT systems of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) have been down over the past week. This is creating problems for the Aadhaar cardholders as deadlines are approaching to link their UIDAI identity details with their Employees Provident Fund and the Income Tax Departments Permanent Account Number(PAN).
- The Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI) is a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- Purpose: To issue Unique Identification numbers (UID), named as “Aadhaar”, to all residents of India.
- Under the Aadhaar Act 2016, UIDAI is responsible for Aadhaar enrolment and authentication, including the security of identity information and authentication records of individuals.
- Aadhaar number is a 12-digit random number issued by the UIDAI (“Authority”) to the residents of India after satisfying the verification process laid down by the Authority.
- Eligibility: Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident of India, may voluntarily enrol to obtain an Aadhaar number.
- Documents: A person willing to enrol for Aadhar has to provide minimal demographic and biometric information during the enrolment process which is totally free of cost.