List of Contents
Synopsis: As per the reports, China is increasing cyber-attacks. India needs to prepare a cyber strategy to tackle cyber warfare effectively.
- Recently, the Recorded Future (a U.S.-based cybersecurity firm) revealed an increase in suspected targeted intrusions against India from Chinese state-sponsored groups.
- Also, according to State authorities in Maharashtra, the October 2020 blackout in Mumbai was directly linked to Chinese cyber-attack.
- Indian cyber agencies such as the National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC) and the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) may have information on China’s aggressive cyber campaign.
- Thus, India needs to adopt comprehensive measures to guard its critical infrastructure from the cyber threat posed by China.
What are the revelations made by the Recorded Future?
- One, at least 10 Indian power sector organisations have been targeted, in addition to two Indian ports.
- Two, they have also identified the network infrastructure viz., AXIOMATICASYMPTOTE used for this purpose. Servers of AXIOMATICASYMPTOTE are known to be used by RedEcho. It is a China-linked activity group, that targets India’s power sector, and facilitates the employment of a malware known as Shadowpad.
- ShadowPad is a network intrusion malware that creates a secret path from a targeted system to a command-and-control server to extract information.
- ShadowPad is affiliated with both the Chinese Ministry of State Security and the People’s Liberation Army
What are the recent infamous cyber espionages at the global level?
- Chinese hackers are suspected for the development of a global ‘spearphishing campaign’. It targeted organizations responsible for vaccine storage and transportation. Its objectives are to;
- target vaccine research
- gain future access to corporate networks
- collect sensitive information relating to COVID-19 vaccine distribution.
- Also, recently in 2021, several thousands of U.S. organizations were hacked in by Chinese espionage campaign. The Chinese group, Hafnium, was identified as responsible for this breach. They exploited a series of flaws in the Microsoft software, that enabled them to gain total remote control over affected systems.
- Russia has been accused of cyber interference in the U.S. presidential elections in 2016.
- Also, Russia is currently the prime suspect in one of the greatest data breaches concerning the U.S. Federal government.
- Headlined SolarWinds, cyber-attack in 2020 is a prime example of the damage that can be caused by a cyber-attack.
How other countries are preparing to deter cyber warfare?
- First, the US, to improve its readiness and resilience in cyberspace, made a budgetary allocation of over $10 billion for cybersecurity in his COVID-19 Relief Bill.
- Second, China’s 2021 Defence Budget ($209 billion) gives special weightage to the Strategic Support Force (SSF), which embraces cyber warfare.
The Ukraine example (cyber-attack on the Power grid in 2016) should be a wake-up call for India and the world. It reminds us of the availability of advanced malware to carry out sophisticated cyber-attacks. Hence, preparing a comprehensive cyber strategy, that fully acknowledges the extent of the cyber threat from China and other countries, should be recognised as an immediate necessity.
Sources: The Hindu