News: India has attended a Senior Officials Meeting(SOM) of BIMSTEC under the chairmanship of Sri Lanka to discuss ways to deepen cooperation among the member nations and holding of the next summit of the grouping.
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC): It is a regional organization founded in 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration.
- Aim: To create an enabling environment for economic development; accelerate social progress and promote collaboration on matters of common interest in the region.
- Members: It comprises seven Member States: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand.
- Headquarters: Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- First Summit: The First Summit Meeting of the Heads of the BIMSTEC Countries was held in Bangkok, Thailand in 2004.
- The Fourth Summit was held in Kathmandu,Nepal in 2018.