News:The 6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue(SED) will be held in New Delhi from 7-9 September 2019.
About the Strategic Economic Dialogue:
- India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue is a bilateral dialogue platform between the Niti Aayog and the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) of China.
- The idea of having such a dialogue was first floated by the then Chinese Premier on his visit to India in 2010.As a result,the first India-China SED was held in 2011 in Beijing,China.
- The objective of the dialogue is to discuss challenges and explore possibilities of cooperation between sectors that are strategically important for the economic growth of the two countries.
- The 6th strategic dialogue will focus on collaboration between the two countries on areas of infrastructure, energy, high-tech, resource conservation, pharmaceuticals and policy coordination.
About NITI AAYOG
- The NITI Aayog was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1,2015.
- It is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India providing both directional and policy inputs.It had replaced planning commission as the premier think tank.
- The NITI Aayog has been mandated with fostering cooperative federalism through structured support initiatives and mechanisms with the States on a continuous basis recognizing that strong States make a strong nation.
- It also seeks to design and assist the implementation of strategic, long term policy frameworks and programme initiatives and also monitor their progress and efficacy.
Composition of NITI Aayog:
- Prime Minister of India as the Chairperson.
- Governing Council comprising the Chief Ministers of all the States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories.
- Regional Councils will be formed to address specific issues and contingencies impacting more than one state or a region.These will be formed for a specified tenure.
- The Regional Councils will be convened by the Prime Minister and will comprise of the Chief Ministers of States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories in the region.These will be chaired by the Chairperson of the NITI Aayog or his nominee.
- Experts, specialists and practitioners with relevant domain knowledge as special invitees nominated by the Prime Minister.
The full-time organizational framework will comprise of, in addition to the Prime Minister as the Chairperson:
- Vice-Chairperson: To be appointed by the Prime Minister.
- Members: Full-time.
- Part-time members: Maximum of 2 from leading universities research organizations and other relevant institutions in an ex-officio capacity. Part time members will be on a rotational basis.
- Ex Officio members: Maximum of 4 members of the Union Council of Ministers to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
- Chief Executive Officer:To be appointed by the Prime Minister for a fixed tenure, in the rank of Secretary to the Government of India.