News:Recently,Philanthropy arms of top corporate groups have announced a partnership to launch an initiative called India climate Collaborative.
About India Climate Collaborative(ICC):
- India Climate Collaborative(ICC) is a first-of-its kind India-focused collaboration launched by philanthropic arms of top Indian corporates to minimise the climate change impact.
- Aim: To work together to build a compelling, India-focused climate narrative and drive solutions that help people and nature thrive.
Need of this initiative:According to India Climate Collaborative(ICC),this initiative was launched as:
- India ranked highest in climate-triggered deaths in 2018 and is the fifth-most vulnerable country to the impacts of climate change.
- Approximately 42% of India’s land area faced drought in April last year worsening the farm crisis.
- Since 1980, nearly 60,000 suicides in India are attributed to warming temperatures accounting for almost 7% of the national upward trend in suicide rates.
- There has been a 150% rise in air pollution-related deaths over the past 20 years and in 2017 alone,India saw 1.2 million deaths due to air pollution.
- India suffered an economic loss of $37 billion due to climate change in 2018.Of this losses due to floods amounted to $2.8 billion.