News:India Corruption Survey 2019 has been released by the Local Circles,a social media firm and the Transparency International India.
Key takeaways from the survey:
- Rajasthan tops corruption chart in India.As per Survey, 78% of people in Rajasthan, participating in the survey admitted to paying a bribe to get work done.
- Bihar follows Rajasthan and was placed at second spot.In Bihar, 75 % of citizens admitted to paying a bribe to get their work done.
- Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand were ranked third in the list with 74 % of citizens admitted to paying a bribe to get their work done.
- In South India,Telangana has topped with 67% of citizens admitted to paying a bribe to get their work done.
- On the other hand,Kerala was ranked as the least corrupt states where only 10% of people admitted to paying a bribe to get their work done.
- Besides Kerala, Goa, Gujarat, Odisha, West Bengal, Haryana and Delhi were among the least corrupt states.
About Corruption Perceptions Index 2018:
- India has been ranked at 78th place out of 180 countries in ‘Corruption Perception Index(CPI),2018.
- The index is released by the Transparency International.It ranks countries by their perceived levels of public sector corruption according to experts and business people.
- It uses a scale of 0 to 100 where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 is very clean.
- Denmark has topped the index followed by New Zealand and Finland.On the other hand,Somalia has been ranked last in the index.
About Transparency International:
- Transparency International is an international non-governmental organization.It was founded in 1993 based in Berlin, Germany.
- Its purpose is to take action to combat corruption and prevent criminal activities arising from corruption.
- It publishes various reports such as the Global Corruption Barometer and the Corruption Perceptions Index.