News: India has been elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council(UNSC) for a two-year term.
- The United Nations Charter established six main organs of the United Nations including the United Nations Security Council(UNSC).
- Other organs are UNGA, ECOSOC, Trusteeship Council, ICJ and UN secretariat.
- UNSC is composed of 15 Members:
- Five permanent members: China, France, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Ten non-permanent members elected for two-year terms by the General Assembly.
- The only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
- Determines the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression and recommends what action should be taken.
- Power to call on Members to apply economic sanctions and other measures not involving the use of force to prevent or stop aggression.
- Can suspend economic and diplomatic relations between countries, impose blockades and can authorize collective military action.