- On the first visit of Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte tenure, India invited Italy to participate in the defence sector under the “Make in India” scheme.
- Highlights of Joint Statement:
- A mutual agreement to counter terrorist financing and state sponsors of terrorism.
- A clear reference to Pakistani support to developments in Kashmir by condemning all kinds of State support to terrorists including cross border terrorism and providing safe havens to terrorists and their network.
- Italian defence equipment manufacturing companies now will collaborate with Indian companies for design and construction of defence equipment
- Italy also joined India in demanding the UN Global Counter Terrorism Strategy, UNSC Resolution 1267 and other other UN resolutions regarding prevention of terrorism and terror financing.
- This is significant especially as Pakistan recently conveyed that terror groups like Jamaat ud Dawa are no longer in the list of forbidden organisations in the country. India blames JuD of 2008 Mumbai attacks.