What is the News?
The government of India has launched Sagar-Manthan: Mercantile Marine Domain Awareness Centre(MMDAC). It is a real-time vessel tracking and seafarers’ help system.
- It is a Maritime information system. Thus, it will enhance maritime safety, search and rescue capabilities, security, and marine environment protection.
- It has a real-time vessel tracking feature that can help seafarers and fishermen in times of need.
- Apart from tracking Indian vessels globally, it can also track foreign vessels within 1,000-km of India’s coastline.
- It can also organize help for other countries in case of an emergency.
- Operated by: It will be operated by the Director-General of Shipping.
- India will be sharing this information system with Sri Lanka and the Maldives.
Source: Hindu Businessline