News:The President of Myanmar has visited India.During his visit,several agreements were signed between both the countries.
About the MoUs signed:The two countries signed agreements in various fields such as:
- MoU on Cooperation for Prevention of Trafficking in Persons
- Agreement regarding Indian Grant Assistance for Implementation of Quick Impact Projects (QIP)
- Project Agreement for construction of pre-schools under Rakhine State Development Programme
- India reiterated its commitment for construction of the Integrated Check Post in Tamu, Myanmar among others.
- India and Myanmar relationship officially started after the Treaty of Friendship was signed in 1951.
- Myanmar shares a long 1,643 km border with 4 Indian states namely Mizoram, Manipur, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh in Northeast India.
- India is the fifth largest trading partner of Myanmar – its fifth largest destination for exports and sixth largest source of imports.
- Myanmar is also the beneficiary of a duty-free tariff preference scheme for least developed countries (LDCs).
- Myanmar’s membership of ASEAN, BIMSTEC and Mekong Ganga Cooperation has introduced a sub-regional dimension to bilateral relations with India.
- The exercises between India and Myanmar are a) IMBAX- It is a bilateral army exercise between India and Myanmar and b) IMNEX- It is a bilateral annual naval exercise between India and Myanmar.