Skip to content
- India and Myanmar has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on defence cooperation.The MoU is aimed at enhancing military training, joint surveillance, and maritime security.
- Indian and Myanmar armies has also carried out two phases of ‘Operation Sunrise’ this year busting camps of insurgent groups in Myanmar.
- Further,India is also set to hand over Myanmar its first ever submarine. named INS Sindhuvir.
- INS Sindhuvir which was bought from Russia in the 1980s is currently being modernised by the Hindustan Shipyard Limited(HSL) in Vizag.
- The transfer of the submarine is likely to take place with a line of credit (LoC) that has been extended by India to Myanmar for enhancing military capability.
- Myanmar is a key pillar of India’s Act East Policy towards prioritising relations with its East Asian neighbours.India has steadily increased defence co-operation with Myanmar in recent years.