News:India has opened its first Mahatma Gandhi International convention centre(MGICC) in Niger.
About Mahatma Gandhi convention centre:
- The Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre is the first centre to be established in Africa by India to honour Mahatma Gandhi.
- The convention centre has been designed to witness high-level and wide-ranging participation from African Union member states and other high-level conventions.
- Besides Niger, convention centres will also be set up by India in eight other African nations — Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, Gambia, Burkina Faso, Togo, Gabon and Libera upon request by these countries.
- Niger is a landlocked western African country.The capital is Niamey.
- The country takes its name from the Niger River, which flows through the southwestern part of its territory.
- India and Niger relations have expanded significantly in recent years. India has provided Lines of Credit worth $96 million to Niger for projects in transport, electrification, solar energy and potable drinking water
- India has also extended $15 million grant assistance to Niger in support of organizing the African Union (AU) summit in July,2019.