News:India and Pakistan has signed a Kartarpur agreement to open a land corridor between the two countries.
Key Highlights of the agreement:
- Indian pilgrims of all faiths and Person of Indian origin can use the Kartarpur corridor
- Travel will be visa free.But the pilgrims need to carry only a valid passport and an electronic travel authorisation they receive if their registration is deemed successful.
- Persons of Indian Origin need to carry OCI card along with the passport of their country
- India will send the list of pilgrims to Pakistan 10 days ahead of travel date.Confirmation will be sent to pilgrims 4 days prior to the date of travel.
- Either party can terminate the agreement at any time by giving notice of one month to the other party of its intention to terminate this agreement.
About Kartarpur Corridor:
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long corridor comprising border gates, road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.
- The corridor is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi,about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.