News:India has given USD 2 million in aid to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency(UNRWA) working for the welfare of Palestinian refugees.
- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) was established by the United Nations in 1949.
- Purpose: To provide assistance and protection for registered Palestine refugees to help them achieve their full potential in human development.
- Refugees: The term refugee covers Palestinian who fled or were expelled from their homes during the 1948 Palestine War.
- Areas of Operation:
- The aid is provided in five areas of operation namely Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank including East Jerusalem.
- The aid for Palestinian refugees outside these five areas is provided by UNHCR.
- It is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN Member States.
- It also receives some funding from the Regular Budget of the United Nations which is used mostly for international staffing costs.
- Significance: It is the only UN agency dedicated to helping refugees from a specific region or conflict.