News: The Office of the Registrar General’s Sample Registration System(SRS) has released a special bulletin on Maternal Mortality in India 2016-18.
- Maternal Mortality Ratio(MMR): The Maternal Mortality Ratio(MMR) in India has declined to 113 in 2016-18 from 122 in 2015-17 and 130 in 2014-2016.
- Highest MMR: Assam had the highest MMR in the country at 215 followed by Uttar Pradesh at 197 and Madhya Pradesh at 173.
- Lowest MMR: Kerala reported the lowest MMR of 43 followed by Maharashtra at 46 and Tamil Nadu at 60.
- Maternal Death: It is the death of a woman while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, irrespective of the duration and site of the pregnancy from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management but not from accidental or incidental causes.
- Maternal Mortality Ratio(MMR): It is defined as the number of maternal deaths during a given time period per 100,000 live births during the same time period.
- SDG 3.1: The target 3.1 of Sustainable Development Goals(SDG) set by the United Nations aims at reducing the global maternal mortality ratio to less than 70 per 100,000 live births.