- India rejected a proposal by the U.K. to use DNA sampling to establish the nationality of illegal migrants.
- Earlier, the U.K authorities suggested that the nationality of document-less illegal migrants suspected to be Indians could be established by matching DNA samples of their family members living here.
- However, the Indian government raised objections that this was a breach of privacy and unethical.
- In January, Union Cabinet approved the contents of a MoU on “return of illegal migrants” to be signed with U.K.
- As per the original MoU, the security agencies in India were to verify the antecedents of document less illegal migrants in the U.K within 72 days and those with documents within 15 days.
- If no report was given within the time frame, the illegal migrant would be deported automatically.
- India pulled out of the pact saying the time frame was not feasible.
- According to the British government’s data, there around apex 1 lakh Indians overstaying their visa in the U.K. But as per India’s estimate the number will not be more than 2,000.