News:The US has again placed India on the Priority Watch List for lack of sufficient measurable improvements to its Intellectual Property framework that have negatively affected American right holders over the past year.
- Priority Watch List and Watch List countries are identified by the annual Special 301 Report.
- Priority Watch list countries -These are those countries that are having serious intellectual property rights deficiencies and require increased United States Trade Representative(USTR) attention.
- Watch List countries – These countries are having serious intellectual property rights deficiencies but are not yet placed on the Priority Watch list.
- Countries under Priority Watch list: Algeria, Argentina, Chile, China, India, Indonesia, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine and Venezuela.
- Implications:The countries under the priority watch list will be the subject of increased bilateral engagement with the USTR to address Intellectual Property(IP) concerns.
- Intellectual Property Rights(IPR):These are the rights given to persons over the creations of their minds.They usually give the creator an exclusive right over the use of his/her creation for a certain period of time.
- Types of IPR: Copyright, Trademark, Patents, Industrial Design and Geographical Indication.