List of Contents
What is the News?
The Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) has informed the Lok Sabha about the steps taken by the Government to combat illicit trafficking of narcotics, drugs, and psychotropic substances.
Steps taken by the Government to combat Illicit Trafficking of drugs:
Pacts and Agreements:
- India has signed 26 bilateral pacts, 15 MoUs, and two agreements on security cooperation with different countries for combating illicit trafficking of narcotic, drugs and psychotropic substances.
Coordination with International Organizations:
- The Narcotics Control Bureau(NCB) has coordinated with various international organisations for sharing information and intelligence to combat transnational drug trafficking.
Narco Coordination Centre(NCORD):
- For coordination among various Central and State agencies, the Narco Coordination Centre (NCORD) mechanism was set up by the MHA in 2016 for effective drug law enforcement.
- This NCORD system has been restructured into a four-tier scheme up to district level in 2019 for better coordination.
- Government of India has launched an e-portal called ‘SIMS’ (Seizure Information Management System) in 2019 for digitisation of pan-India drug seizure data.