What is the News?
The Global Geospatial Information Community was sensitized about the second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC) to be organized by India in 2022.
About United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress(UNWGIC):
- Organized by: United Nation Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) every four years.
- Aim: To enhance international collaboration among the Member States and relevant stakeholders in Geospatial information management and capacities.
- A geographic information system(GIS) integrates hardware, software, and data for capturing, managing, analysing, and displaying all forms of geographically referenced information.
- First Summit: The first UNWGIC was organized by China in 2018.
- Second Summit: India is going to host the second UNWGIC in 2022, at Hyderabad. The theme is: “Towards Geo-enabling the Global Village.”
About United Nation Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management(UN-GGIM):
- Established by: United Nations Economic and Social Council(ECOSOC) in 2011.
- Aim: To play a leading role in setting the agenda for the development of global geospatial information and to promote its use to address key global challenges.
- Committee: The committee consists of government experts from United Nations Member States as well as experts from international organizations, as observers. The UN-GGIM is scheduled to meet at least once a year and reports directly to ECOSOC.