List of Contents
What is the News?
Indian Coast Guard ship ’Vajra’ commissioned formally into service. It is the 6th offshore patrol vessel to enhance coastal security.
About ICGS Vajra:
- Larsen and Toubro Shipbuilding Ltd has indigenously designed and built the Indian Coast Guard Ship Vessel “Vajra”.
- Moreover, ICGS Vajra is the sixth in the series of seven Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs).
Key Features of ICGS Vajra:
- Firstly, it is a 98-meter ship equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. It is designed to carry one twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats.
- Secondly, the vessel can also be used in Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, and Maritime Patrol.
- Thirdly, the vessel is also capable of carrying Pollution Response Equipment for oil spill response at Sea.
What are Offshore Patrol Vehicles(OPVs)?
- Offshore Patrol Vehicles(OPVs) are long-range surface ships. They are capable of operation in maritime zones of India including island territories with helicopter operation capabilities.
- Further, their roles include coastal and offshore patrolling, policing maritime zones of India, control and surveillance, anti-smuggling and anti-piracy operations with limited wartime roles.
About Vikram Class offshore patrol vessel(OPV)
- Vikram Class offshore patrol vessel (OPV) is a series of seven offshore patrol vessels (OPV). L&T Shipbuilding for the Indian Coast Guard(ICG) is building them.
- The seven OPVs are: 1) ICGS Vikram 2) ICGS Vijaya 3) ICGS Veera 4) ICGS Varaha 5) ICGS Varad 6) ICGS Vajra and 7) ICGS Vigraha.