News:Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has laid the foundation stone of Indian Institute of Skills(IIS) at Mumbai.
- The Union Cabinet had given its nod to set up an Indian Institute of Skills (IISs) in three cities namely Mumbai, Ahmedabad and Kanpur to give boost to the Skill India Mission.
- These institutes will be constructed and operated on a PPP (Public-Private Partnership) model and on a not-for-profit basis.
About the Institute:
- The IIS will be a tertiary care institute in the skills ecosystem to offer courses in emerging and high demand areas.
- This institute will be on the lines of the Institutes of Eminence including IITs and IIMs.
- The objective of the institute is to provide skill training in highly specialised areas such as deep technology, aerospace, among others to students who want to pursue technical education after completing Class X and XII.
- Tata Education Development Trust(TEDT) was selected as the private partner for setting up IIS at NSTI campus in Mumbai through a competitive bidding process.
About Skill India mission
- National Skill Development Mission also known as Skill India Mission was launched in 2015.
- The mission envisages convergence, coordination and harmonization of the fragmented skilling efforts of various Ministries in Government of India and other key stakeholders.
- The mission is implemented through the instruments of Common norms, implementation of National Skills Qualification Framework and data integrations through the Skill India Portal.