What is the News?
Recently, the Indian Navy virtually hosted the Goa Maritime Symposium-2021.
About Goa Maritime Symposium:
- Firstly, the Indian Navy, under the aegis of Naval War College, Goa, hosted the Maritime Symposium-2021.
- Secondly, Objective: It aims to build capacity amongst the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Navies to tackle emerging common maritime threats.
- Thirdly, Participating countries: Naval representatives from 13 Indian Ocean Littoral countries participated.
- These include India, Bangladesh, Comoros, Indonesia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Myanmar, Seychelles, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
- Fourthly, Theme: Maritime Security and Emerging Non-Traditional Threats: A Case for Proactive Role for IOR Navies.
- The Indian Ocean is the third-largest of the world’s oceanic divisions, covering 19.8% of the water on Earth’s surface.
- It is bounded by Asia to the north, Africa to the west and Australia to the east.
- The Indian Ocean has some large marginal or regional seas such as the Arabian Sea, the Laccadive Sea, the Somali Sea, the Bay of Bengal, and the Andaman Sea.