List of Contents
What is the News?
A team from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology, has developed a device named ‘OxyJani’.
- OxyJani is a mobile group oxygen concentrator that can be used in rural settings and also be rapidly deployed in emergencies in any location.
- Technology: It is based on the principles of Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) technology.
- Significance: The team replaced lithium zeolites (LiX) which is usually used in oxygen concentrators with sodium zeolites which do not generate toxic solid waste and can be manufactured in India.
Advantages of OxyJani:
- Firstly, It is modular and capable of delivering a range of solutions such as conversion of medical air to medical oxygen.
- Secondly, It is an entirely off-grid solution including all modules that can facilitate deployment in rural areas.
- Thirdly, it is portable just like personal oxygen concentrators and affordable too.
- Lastly, the waste from the zeolite plant can be potentially a good agricultural input material.