News: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics(IUCAA) has said that AstroSat has detected an extreme ultraviolet(UV) light from a galaxy called AUDFs01 which is 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth.
- AstroSat: It is India’s first dedicated multi wavelength space observatory launched on a PSLV-XL in 2015.
- Aim: The mission aims for a detailed understanding of our universe.One of the unique features of the mission is that it enables the simultaneous multi-wavelength observations of various astronomical objects with a single satellite.
- Objectives: The scientific objectives of the mission are:
- To understand high energy processes in binary star systems containing neutron stars and black holes
- Estimate magnetic fields of neutron stars
- Study star birth regions and high energy processes in star systems lying beyond our galaxy
- Detect new briefly bright X-ray sources in the sky
- Perform a limited deep field survey of the Universe in the Ultraviolet region.