Context- The government of India has blocked 43 new Chinese app which are prejudicial to sovereignty and Integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.
Why Indian Government ban these apps?
- Defence and security concern– These apps are involved in activities against India’s sovereignty, integrity, defense, security and law and order.
- Data Privacy Issue – The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) banned apps on reports of stealing and transmitting user’s data in an unauthorized manner to servers which have locations outside India.
- Strong move by the government that sends out a strong message that Indian data cannot be compromised.
- Opportunity for Indian– The recent ban on Chinese app is a good opportunity for Indian entrepreneurs to quickly rise to fill market gaps.-
- This opportunity has also opened up the job market under the segment which will eventually have an added boost to the Indian economy.
- The ban may be useful for India to use its vast market for Internet services as leverage in its attempts to keep China in check at the border.
What are the concerns related to Chinese apps ban?
There are issues with the government gag against Chinese apps-
- This can trigger an unconventional battle between the two countries in the larger technology realm.
- Create negative image– This creates a big uncertainty for the foreign investors, and often results in reduces outflow of foreign investment.
What is the way forward?
- Need for A Data Protection Law: Data privacy and security remains to be major challenges emanating from the ongoing digital revolution. Thus, a data protection law is long overdue.
- India must stick to a rules-based approach in regulating the Internet.