News: Minister of State for Shipping has reviewed the development activities of India’s first trans-shipment hub – Vallarpadam Terminal.
- Vallarpadam Terminal: It is a part of the Cochin Port in Kochi, Kerala located on Vallarpadam Island.
- The terminal is proposed to be developed as the most preferred gateway for South India and leading trans-shipment hub of South Asia.
- Significance of the Terminal:
- It is the best positioned Indian port with regard to proximity to International sea routes.
- It is located at least average nautical distance from all Indian feeder ports.
- It entails a connectivity which has multiple weekly feeder connections to all ports on West & East Coast of India, From Mundra to Kolkata;
- It has proximity to key hinterland markets of India and has the infrastructure to manage large ships and capacity to scale it up as per requirement.
- Trans-shipment Hub: It is the terminal at the port which handles containers, stores them temporarily and transfers them to other ships for the onward destination.