List of Contents
What is the News?
The 11th edition of Indo-US Joint Special Forces Exercise Vajra Prahar 2021 is complete. The exercise was conducted at Special Forces Training School which is located at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh.
About Exercise Vajra Prahar:
- Exercise Vajra Prahar is a Special Forces joint military training exercise. It takes place alternately in India and the US since 2010.
- Aim: The aim of the exercise is to enable sharing of best practices and experiences in areas such as, joint mission planning capabilities and operational tactics.
Other Bilateral Exercises between India and US:
- Yudh Abhyas- It is a joint military exercise between India and the US.
- Tiger Triumph- It is a tri-service military exercise between India and the US.
What are Special Forces?
- Special Forces of India refer to those Special forces units that are specifically organised, trained, and equipped to conduct and support special operations.
- The three branches of the Indian Armed Forces have separate special forces units namely:
- Firstly, Para SF: Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) is the special force of the Indian Army. This unit formed in 1966 in the aftermath of the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war.
- Secondly, MARCOS: Marine Commando Force also called MARCOS established in 1987. It is the special forces unit of the Indian Navy.
- Thirdly, Garud Commando Force: It was established in 2004. They are the special forces of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
Note: There are other special forces that are out of military control. They operate under civilian organizations such as the Home ministry’s National Security Guard.