Skip to content
- Indonesia has released a special commemorative stamp on the theme of Ramayana during an event to celebrate the 70th anniversary of diplomatic ties with India.
- The stamp is designed by renowned Indonesian sculptor. It features a scene from Kakawin Ramayana in which Jatayu valiantly fought to save Sita.
- The event also showcased a special photo exhibit chronicling some of the landmark moments in the diplomatic engagements that have characterised India-Indonesia bilateral ties from 1949-2019.
- Kakawin Ramayana is an Old Javanese rendering of the Sanskrit Ramayana. It is written in kakawin meter,the Javanese form of kavya,a poem modelled on traditional Sanskrit meters.
- It is believed to have been written in Central Java(modern Indonesia) in approximately 870 AD during the era of Medang Kingdom.