- The Union Ministry of Finance has amended Intellectual Property rules.
2. The rules were amended to revoke the power vested with Customs authorities to seize imported products based on complaints of patent infringement.
3. Recently, the Ministry made two amendments to the Intellectual Property Rights (Imported Goods) Enforcement Rules, 2007.
- The Intellectual Property Rights (Imported Goods) Enforcement Amendment Rules, 2018, omits all reference to the Patents Act, 1970.
- Another amendment obliges the right-holder to notify the Commissioner of Customs of any amendment, cancellation, suspension or reaction that concern Intellectual Property rights.
4.The amended law will allow the Customs authorities to cancel his patent from its records based on the order passed by the Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB).
5. In the past, mobile phone companies have faced issues because of the earlier rules.