What is the News?
Interpol has launched a new global database named “I-Familia”.
- I-Familia is a global database launched to identify missing persons through family DNA. It will help the police to solve cases in member countries.
- Interpol applies cutting-edge scientific research and uses the DNA of relatives to identify missing persons or unidentified human remains around the world.
- DNA kinship matching is used mostly in cases where a direct sample of the missing person is not available.
- Components: I-Familia has three components:
- Dedicated global database to host the DNA profiles provided by relatives. It is held separately from any criminal data;
- DNA matching software called Bonaparte developed by Dutch company Smart Research; and
- Interpretation guidelines developed by Interpol.
Source: The Hindu