What is the News?
Israel’s ‘Iron Dome’ System has been successful in intercepting the continuous barrage of rockets targeting Israel.
About Iron Dome:
- Iron Dome is a short-range, ground-to-air, air defence system. Israeli manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defense Systems developed it with support from the United States.
- Purpose: It is used for countering rockets, artillery & mortars (C-RAM). It will also counter aircraft, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles fired from distances of up to 70 kilometres.
How does Iron Dome work? The Iron Dome has three main systems. These systems will work together to provide a shield over the area where it is deployed, handling multiple threats:
- Firstly, it has detection and tracking radar. It tracks any incoming threat into Israel
- Secondly, it has a battle management and weapon control system (BMC). It predicts the incoming rocket’s trajectory
- Lastly, the information picked by the system is then used to guide Tamir interceptor missiles. These missiles are fired vertically either from mobile units or a static launch site. This will detonate the incoming rocket in the air by producing explosions in the sky.
Other key Features of Iron Dome:
- The missile can be used in all weather conditions, including during the day and night.
- Israel claims the system has stopped thousands of enemy launches from hitting targets, with a success rate of more than 90%.
Source: Indian Express