What is the News?
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) launches the ”Sindhu Netra Satellite”. It was a part of ISRO’s PSLV-C51 mission.
About Sindhu Netra Satellite:
- Developed by: Students of Bengaluru based PES University under a contract by Research Centre Imarat, which is a part of the DRDO.
- Purpose: The satellite is capable of automatically identifying the warships and merchant ships in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- Significance: The satellite enhances India’s surveillance capabilities on land borders with China and Pakistan.
- It will be useful to identify suspicious movements of sea-faring vessels close to India’s maritime borders.
- Furthermore, It will also be helpful in carrying out surveillance in areas such as the South China Sea or the pirate-infested areas near the Gulf of Aden and the African coast.
[Answered] The growing role of the private sector in space, demands India to move quickly towards a new model for India’s space activity. Explain with illustrations.