News:The Indian Space Research Organization has decided to set up five Space Technology Cells at the premier institutes in order to carry out research activities.
About Space Technology Cells:
- The Space Technology cells are being established under the RESPOND Programme.The Technology cells will consist of professors and scholars associated with the institute.
- Under the programme,the experts will conduct space technology research and applications.
- Currently,the ISRO has already set up Space Technology Cells(STC) at premier institutions like IIT Bombay, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras, IISc ,Bengaluru and Joint Research Programme with Savitribai Phule Pune University(SPPU).
About RESPOND Programme:
- ISRO had started the RESPOND (Sponsored Research) programme in the 1970s.
- The objective of the programme is to encourage academia to participate and contribute in various Space related research activities.
- Under the programme,projects are taken up by Universities/Academic Institutions in the areas of relevance to Space Programme.
- ISRO helps these institutions to establish the necessary technical facilities and also provide fellowships to researchers to work on cutting edge research topics.
- The programme is mutually beneficial to both ISRO and Academia wherein the rich talent of Academia/ faculty is being harnessed to support the Nation’s Space programme.