News:Government has decided to spend Rs 3.5 lakh crore in the next five years under under Jal Jeevan Mission.
About Jal Jeevan mission:
- Aim:It seeks to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections (HarGharJal) to all rural households by 2024.
- Ministry:It will be implemented by the Jal Shakti Ministry.
- The Mission will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level.
- The mission will implement source sustainability measures recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
- The mission also seeks to converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across India.
- According to the Jal Shakti Ministry,only 18% of India’s rural households have access to piped water.