Source: Indian Express
What is the News?
NASA is set to launch James Webb Space Telescope(JWST). But before it launches, NASA has to decide whether to rename the telescope. This is because James Webb after whom the telescope is named was alleged to have persecuted homosexuals when he had worked for the government.
About James Webb Telescope:
- James Webb Telescope is an international collaboration between NASA, European Space Agency(ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency.
- The telescope will complement and is considered the successor of the Hubble Space Telescope.
- The telescope will use infrared light, which cannot be perceived by the human eye, to study every phase in cosmic history.
- observe farther into the universe than ever before
- Search for the first stars and galaxies created after the big bang
- better understand how planets, stars, and galaxies are born and evolve over time
- explore distant worlds and study our solar system
- determine the potential for life on planets around other stars.