News:Janaushadhi week is being celebrated across the country from 1st March to 7th March 2020.On this occasion various activities like health checkup Camp, Jan Aushadhi Paricharcha, Jan Aushadhi ka sath are being undertaken.
About Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana(PMBJP):
- Launched in 2008 by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- Aim:To bring down the healthcare budget of citizens of India by providing generic quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses through Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- Implementation:Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementing agency.
About Generic medicines:
- Generic medicines are unbranded medicines which are equally safe and having the same efficacy as that of branded medicines in terms of their therapeutic value.
- The prices of generic medicines are much cheaper than their branded equivalent.
- Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) was established in 2008 under the Department of Pharmaceuticals,Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
- It got registered as an independent society in 2010 under the Societies Registration Act,1860.