Source: The post is based on the article “Japan keen to deepen defence ties with India, says Kishida” published in The Hindu on 11th September 2023
What is the News?
The Japanese Prime Minister has talked about the India-Japan relations.
What are the key highlights from the Japan PM statement on India-Japan relations?
Defence cooperation: Japan sees India as a crucial partner in the Indo-Pacific region and aims to enhance defense cooperation for maritime security.
– The joint exercises between Japan’s Self-Defence Forces and the Indian Armed Forces emphasized the importance of defense cooperation and exchanges with India to maintain peace, freedom, and the rule of law in the Indo-Pacific.
On the Indo-Pacific region: Japan’s Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP) strategy is inclusive and not aimed at any specific country.
– The strategy aims to uphold and reinforce a free and open international order based on rule of law in the Indo-Pacific region.
– However, the Japanese PM expressed concerns about the challenging security environment in the region.
– He also said that Japan is opposed to unilateral changes in the East and South China Seas and North Korea’s missile activities.
On G-20 New Delhi Declaration: Japan PM said that the declaration addresses complex global crises and acknowledges the impact of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine on the world economy.
– While the declaration may not explicitly condemn Russia, it calls for refraining from the use or threat of force to seek territorial acquisition and emphasizes the importance of global assistance to vulnerable populations in conflict zones.