The retirement of Chief Justices of various High Courts just within a few days of their appointments as Chief Justices, reveal that judicial appointments in the High Courts remain in a constant state of flux.
- Chief Justices of various High Courts and several SC judges will retire this year
- Also, the posts of Chief Justice in seven High Courts have been lying vacant for the past several months, with Acting Chief Justices at the helm.
- Further, in the Supreme Court, with Justice Amitava Roy retiring on February 28, the vacancies will go up to seven, reducing the number of judges to 24.
- The sanctioned strength is however 31.
- There will be five more retirements in the Supreme Court in 2018, including that of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra.
- There has been increasing concern over rising vacancies.
- The concern has also been highlighted in a judgment delivered by a Supreme Court Bench, led by Justice A.K. Sikri.