News:The Ministry of Textiles is organising the Kala Kumbh – Handicrafts Thematic Exhibition in various parts of the country.
About Kala Kumbh:
- It is an exhibition to promote GI (Geographical Indication) crafts and heritage of India.
- It is being organized through the Office of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) under the Ministry of Textiles.
- It is sponsored by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts(EPCH).
About GI tag:
- A geographical indication(GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 provides registration and also protection of GI goods in India.
- The act is administered by the Controller General of Patents, Designs and trademarks under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- As of August 2019, 178 GI handicraft products are registered from all over India.
- Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts(EPCH) was established as a non-profit organisation under Companies Act in 1986-87.
- It aims to promote, support, protect, maintain and increase the export of handicrafts.