Why in News?
‘Kalrav’, Bihar’s 1st state–level festival started at the Nagi-Nakti bird sanctuaries in the Jamui district, Bihar.
About the festival:
- About the Festival: The festival is hosted by the department of forest, environment and climate change.
- Aim: The event is intended to create awareness about the conservation of birds and their habitat, the wetlands.
- Importance of Birds:
- Those who can understand a bird’s behavior can understand that it sends a signal of any impending natural calamity.
- Birds also help in the pollination of plant species.
- Hence, as a part of the bird conservation plan, the forest department has developed a bird ringing station at Bhagalpur
Nagi- Nakti Bird Sanctuaries:
- Nagi Dam and Nakti Dam are although two different sanctuariess but they can be taken as one bird area due to their closeness.
- These sanctuaries are a home to wide variety of indigenous species and migratory birds that turn up during the winters from places like Eurasia, Central Asia, the Arctic Circle, Russia and Northern China.
- Birdlife International has declared it as an important bird area due to a rare phenomenon. I.e. appearance of Around 1,600 bar-headed geese which is about 3% of the global population of this variety, at this sanctuary.
- The sanctuary is unique for its rock formation, “tor” in Jamui area. In India, this rock formation is available only in Hampi in Karnataka.