News:Karnataka Government has formally notified the Karnataka Prevention and Eradication of Inhuman Evil Practices and Black Magic Act,2017.
Key provisions of the act:
- The act bans performing any black magic, inhumane act and evil practices in search of treasure or bounty, tantric acts.
- The practices such as barring menstruating women from entering houses of worship and their homes, coercing people to take part in fire-walks and beating up people by declaring them evil are also among the irrational practices that have been banned.
- However,the practice of Vaastu, astrology or circumambulation of holy places, yatras, parikramas performed at religious places have been kept out of the purview of the law.
- The law is to be implemented by the state police with the appointment of vigilance officers under the law at police stations.
- It stipulates imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than one year but which may extend to seven years and with fine which shall not be less than five thousand rupees but which may extend to fifty thousand rupees as punishment for violations.
People are Free to Choose Religion: Supreme Court