According to a data released by the Kerala State Crime Records Bureau (SCRB), there has been a steady increase in crimes committed against children in Kerala.
- There has been an increase in offences against children under all categories from 549 in 2008 to 3,278 as of October, 2018
- Cases of rape rose from 215 in 2008 to 1,101 in 2017, and 999 as of October 2018
- Cases registered under the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act rose from four in 2008 to 17 in 2017 and 15 till October 2018.
- Government officials have attributed this rise to increased reporting of crimes because of better awareness.
- However, social workers have advocated that crimes against children have indeed increased.