What is the News?
Kerala’s ‘Bell of Faith’ scheme will be expanded to the villages to reach senior citizens staying alone. Earlier, the scheme was successfully implemented in a number of urban households in Kerala.
About Bell of Faith Scheme:
- Firstly, Bell of Faith Scheme was launched by the Kerala Police in 2018. It aims to provide security to senior citizens staying alone as part of Kerala’s Community Policing Scheme.
- Secondly, under the Scheme, police have installed a bell in the senior citizens’ houses.
- Thirdly, the neighbour will get an alert with an alarm when the senior citizen rings the bell during an emergency.
- Fourthly, the neighbour can immediately rush to the house or contact the police or hospital.
Significance of the Scheme:
- The Bell of Faith scheme sets an example for community participation to ensure the well-being and safety of the elderly.
- Moreover, this scheme can be of great support for the senior citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic as many live in fear for their health.
Source: The Hindu