News: Government of India will provide Kisan Credit Card(KCC) to 1.5 crore dairy farmers belonging to Milk Unions and Milk producing Companies within the next two months under a special drive.
- The Kisan Credit Card(KCC) scheme was launched by the Government of India in 1998.
- Objective: To provide adequate and timely credit support from the banking system to the farmers for their cultivation and other needs as indicated below:
- To meet the short term credit requirements for cultivation of crops;
- Post-harvest expenses and Produce marketing loan;
- Consumption requirements of farmer household;
- Working capital for maintenance of farm assets and activities allied to agriculture;
- Investment credit requirement for agriculture and allied activities.
- Implementation: It is being implemented by Commercial Banks, RRBs, Small Finance Banks and Cooperatives.
- Coverage: Small farmers, marginal farmers, sharecroppers, oral lessee and tenant farmers, Self Help Groups (SHGs) or Joint Liability Groups (JLGs) are eligible for availing benefits under the scheme.