What is the News?
Khadi and Village Industries Commission(KVIC) has recently secured trademark registrations in three countries – Bhutan, UAE and Mexico.
How many countries has KVIC obtained Trademark Registration?
- So far, KVIC has Trademark registrations for the word mark “KHADI” in 6 countries namely Germany, UK, Australia, Russia, China and EU.
- However, with trademark registrations in Bhutan, UAE and Mexico, the number of such countries has gone up to nine.
- In these countries, KVIC has got registrations in various classes such as Khadi fabric, Khadi readymade garments and village industry products like Khadi soaps, Khadi cosmetics, Khadi incense sticks among others.
What is a Trademark?
- A Trademark is a sign capable of distinguishing the goods or services of one enterprise from those of other enterprises.
- A Trademark Registration will confer an exclusive right to the use of the registered trademark. This implies that the trademark can be exclusively used by its owner or licensed to another party for use in return for payment.
- The term of trademark registration can vary, but is usually ten years. It can be renewed indefinitely on payment of additional fees.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body formed in 1957 under Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act,1956.
- Nodal Ministry: It is an apex organisation under the Ministry of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises.
- Mandate: The KVIC is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programs for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies.