List of Contents
What is the News?
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has secured Patent registration for its innovative Plastic-mixed Handmade Paper developed to reduce plastic menace from nature.
About Plastic Mixed Handmade Paper:
- Plastic Mixed Handmade Paper was developed by a team of scientists of KVIC’s Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute (KNHPI).
- The paper was developed under Project REPLAN (REducing PLAstic from Nature) of KVIC.
- This is the first of its kind project in India where plastic waste is destructured, degraded, diluted and used with paper pulp while making handmade paper. This helps in reducing plastic waste from nature.
Significance of this Development:
- Firstly, the production of waste-plastic mixed handmade paper is likely to serve the twin objectives of protecting the environment alongside creating sustainable employment.
- Secondly, nearly 2640 handmade paper making units in the country under KVIC and State Khadi Boards have the potential of clearing approx 3000 MT of waste plastic from nature every year.
- Lastly, it can also create thousands of new jobs like the collection of waste plastic, cleaning and processing, etc.