Lok Sabha has passed The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The bill seeks to remove leprosy as a ground for divorce in five personal laws – Hindu Marriage Act, Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act, Divorce Act (for Christians), Special Marriage Act and the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act.
Rationale behind the amendment:
- Leprosy as ground for divorce is a “discriminatory” provision for a disease that is now curable.
- The Human Rights Commission and judgements of various courts had also underlined the need to amend the laws to remove this discrimination.
- The Law Commission in its report had also recommended repealing laws and provisions which were discriminatory against leprosy-affected people.
- Further, India is a signatory to a UN Resolution which calls for the elimination of discrimination against persons suffering from leprosy.