- Nine years have passed since the grim events of 26/11 but India has forgotten nothing and learned nothing.
What is are the impacts of 26/11 tragedy?
- 26/11 caused two key ruptures in India’s politics and public discourse:
- It led to a distillation of public frustration with police and intelligence services, which seemed unable to protect India’s citizens.
- It crystallised the rage of citizens against the Indian state’s inability to act on Pakistan’s sponsorship of terrorist groups.
What are the drawbacks India’s security and defence?
- New organisations meant to fight terrorism, mostly are chronically under-resourced.
- India’s intelligence services remain desperately short of resources.
- There are chronic shortages from language and area specialists, to personnel with specialist technology skills.
- India has been unable to fulfil its commitment to modernise basic policing and emergency services.
- Forensics, investigation and intelligence capabilities are abysmal.
- The next 26/11 will always lurk just around the corner unless the elements which went into its making are addressed.