Interdependence is a basic fact of the world. From ecology to astronomical bodies, family to nations, we live in an interdependent world.
Importance of interdependence:
- Values: Family, schools, friends, community shape value inculcation in individuals and weave society’s moral fabric.
- Climate Action: Common but differentiated responsibilities are due for effective action against climate change and environmental damage.
- Democracy: System of institutional checks and balances, distribution of powers between judiciary, executive and legislature, or through federalism are necessary to sustain democracy.
- Emotional wellbeing: Understanding the emotional needs of self and others, being understood emotionally is a manifestation of interdependent reflection.
- Scientific developments: Dependence on shoulders of intellectual giants like Newton and Madhava, epistemology through dissertations.
- Heritage: Intergenerational knowledge such as through tribal knowledge systems, oral traditions, literature, religion etc. are sources of culture
History, culture, ecology and development are all interdependent. Global warming and development deficit are the most instructive example of interdependence in modern world. To meet our individual needs, we need to take care of surrounding society and nature. (176 words)