What is the News?
Lithuania has pulled out of China’s 17+1 cooperation forum with central and eastern European states.
About 17+1 cooperation forum:
- The 17+1 cooperation forum is a China-led initiative founded in the year 2012.
- Aim: The aim is to expand cooperation between China and the Central and Eastern European(CEE) member countries. This is done through investments and trade for the development of the CEE region.
- The initiative also focuses on infrastructure projects such as bridges, motorways, railway lines and the modernisation of ports in the member states.
- Significance: The initiative is largely seen as an extension of China’s flagship Belt and Road initiative (BRI).
- Lithuania is a country in the Baltic region of Europe. Its capital and largest city is Vilnius.
- It is one of the Baltic States and lies on the eastern shore of the Baltic Sea.
- Border Countries: Sweden, Denmark, Latvia Belarus Poland and Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.
Source: The Hindu